Changing DNS server is easy but choosing the fastest DNS is tough because on the internet there are thousands of free DNS service which you can use. But if you want the best DNS then just follow this guideline and you will able to grab the fastest DNS servers in just one minute. but first, you need to know what is DNS and why should you change your DNS settings?
What is DNS?
DNS or Domain Name Servers are like a phone book; where if you enter a website URL or domain name then this server converted that URL into a public IP address. And this IP address is need for your device to communicate with that site.
For example, if you enter https://digitaluttam.com/ then it will be converted into this 188.8.131.52 IP address, and this IP address is need for communicating with this site.
By default, your ISP (Internet Service Provider) automatically provides DNS servers when your Laptop, smartphone, router, or any other device is connected to the internet. So you do not need to worry about that.
Best Free DNS server in 2021
Open DNS: Primary, secondary DNS servers: 184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11
Cloudflare DNS: Primary, secondary DNS servers: 18.104.22.168 and 22.214.171.124
Google Public DNS: Primary, secondary DNS servers: 126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52
Comodo Secure DNS: Primary, secondary DNS servers: 184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11
Quad9 DNS: Primary, secondary DNS servers: 18.104.22.168 and 22.214.171.124
Verisign DNS: Primary, secondary DNS servers: 126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52
Check all these free server IPv4 addresses also IPv6 addresses.
Difference between Free and paid DNS
As with every service, you get what you buy and it’s no different here. Free DNS is often good but it’s nothing compared to a Premium paid version. Granted, not everyone wants to pay, and counting on their needs they could not get to, but paid DNS is usually a far better choice. Apart from the increased website performance and security, you furthermore may get additional features.
For instance, both Dynamic and Secondary DNS is a staple of the premium DNS service. The Dynamic DNS works with dynamic IP addresses and allows users to access their computers from anywhere within the world. The Secondary DNS works as a backup of sorts which is usually a plus. This is just a little fraction of what a premium DNS can do and therefore the exact number of features will depend upon the service provider.
Why should you choose different DNS servers?
There are many reasons to choose different servers. Here is some main point to change your current DNS server.
- If you suspect some problems with your current DNS server that is provided by your ISP then you need to change the server. An easy way to detect the issue with your DNS server by typing a website IP address into the browser search bar. If you reached that site by typing the IP address, but not the name, then the DNS server is having some issues. To check your website IP address just go to this link and put your website name and it will automatically convert into an IP address.
- Another reason is performance. If you noticed that your internet is slow and experience a slow browsing experience, then you need to try different servers.
How to change DNS on Windows 10?
Changing the DNS server is very simple. you need to follow these simple steps
- Go to the Control Panel
- Click on Network and Internet
- Click on Network and Sharing Centre
- Go to Change Adapter Settings
- Then You probably see some network icons here. Select the network you’re currently connected to and right-click on it. Select Properties.
- Click on IPv4 and select Properties.
- If “Obtain DNS server address automatically” is selected, click the radio button next to “Use the following DNS server address
- Now enter the DNS addresses you want to use.
- Click on Ok and Close.
And that’s it. you successfully change the DNS settings.
For a better understand you can watch this video. In this video, I showed how to choose the right DNS server for security purposes. Also, I explained how to choose the fastest DNS servers. Also, I showed you how to compare all of these DNS servers so you can get better results. Do watch this video and I will assure you after watching this you will able to understand all these settings and much more.